Friday, August 12, 2005

inside Charlie's head

Charlie, (he’s the one who looks like a loo brush without a stick), fights well above his weight. I’ve seen him square up to dogs that would do him to death by just sitting on him. Not that he’s aggressive mind you, far from it, but if anything gives him a hard time he fights back. I’m quite proud of him when this happens, when he’s just chased off a Doberman – he literally hurls himself at them and sets about an ankle with plenty of grrrrrrrring, and I say to the owner, “oh I’m sorry, he’s not normally like that”. All the while I’m thinking “good boy, get in there my son!!!”.

But he’s scared of thunder. Last night we had a wonderful electrical storm that rumbled around the sky for an age. Charlie tried to hide, under Toffee, under the settee, between two cushions…and every time I moved he came with me, doing tight little figures of eight around my legs.

Normally I try to chatter away to him, in the kind of voice you use with children to show them that you’re not worried so there’s no need for them to be either. It went on for such a long time though, and he shivers all over with every clap that eventually I let him sit on my lap. Which unfortunately was a mistake – the next roll of thunder was almost immediately over head, and was connected directly to his bladder.

Does anyone know if they make ear muffs for dogs?

12 comments:

Katya Coldheart said...

awwww...hes a bit like my mother-in-law, she hates thunder and lightning too...lol

:0)

katie said...

They make this stuff called rescue remedy, it's all herbal but it's like doggy downers. Although a dog in ear muffs would be far more entertaining.

dan said...

i reckon you could fashion some out of something

leesepea said...

Is there such a thing as doggie valium?

Good luck. Hope the storms pass.

Emily said...

nope. but they do make doggie diapers -- perhaps a more immediate solution to your problem.

Anonymous said...

Katya, your MIL doesn't have the same thunder/woman/bladder link...

... I hope.

Katya Coldheart said...

kerram, don't be too sure about that...lol

;0)

PBS said...

Awww, poor Charlie. We used to give our dogs a type of tranquilizer from the vet. Maybe that would help? But I like the image of a dog in ear muffs better!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, that sounds just like my dog. My rabbit on the other hand is totally unafraid, he watches the storms!!! He's also evil but I wont go into that here!!!

Daisy said...

Your story reminded me of a dog I once had. Champ did not like loud noises of any kind, but would go beserk during a thunderstorm. He would bark at it and try to "chase" the noise away. I never thought of doggie ear muffs! Interesting idea. Maybe it is something you could create and sell. ;-)

karla said...

Your description of him as looking like a toilet brush without a stick is cracking me up.

I think it's cute that he's so scared of thunder. The pee part isn't so cute, though, I guess. You've got to get what I have--a deaf dog. I certainly didn't want her to go deaf, but I must say, it's quite convenient. I love that I can get up in the night to pee without her leaping up and making a big fuss. Plus, other dogs can bark and it doesn't set her off because she can't hear it.

So stab a pencil in Charlie's ears or something. That's my sage advice.

Kimmie said...

I totally love this post. I felt like I was right there in the thick of it (thankfully without the urine smell). Your furkids are precious! I too have a "loo brush" for a child... though I tend to refer to her as a "dustmop". Good on you for being patient with her need for TLC during storms. You're obviously a great daddy! xoxo Kimmie